August. Summertime. Vacations. Things slow down for a time. But the pace only slows a bit for our landscape team. What are we working on?
Landscape and Hardscape Crews
- Our landscape crews continue to install lush, color filled landscapes and custom outdoor living spaces with modern amenities all summer long.
- Several specialty crews are out completing summertime maintenance and already preparing for the fall schedule.
- We have ICPI certified two more craftsmen with rigorous testing and proof of expertise.
The Design Staff in Summer
Spring is a particularly active time for our Designers, with little time for anything beyond serving their clients. But we encourage them to take some time by mid-summer to expand their experience beyond the day-to-day of Four Seasons. Recently they have been out on the road a few times.
- Our design staff has recently taken time to tour several local growers to not only examine the operation at the greenhouse, but to discover the newest combinations of annuals and perennials for use in next year’s designs. We like to be cautious about using new varieties making sure they perform well in the garden before introducing our clients to ‘the very latest’.
- In July they joined a well-publicized garden tour to benefit the programs of the Greening of Detroit, an annual summertime event.
- Next month the designers have plans to visit sites recently installed by Four Seasons. Each designer will present 2 sites to the group, with a description of the goals or problems as described by the homeowners, challenges faced, and final outcome. This annual mini-tour gives the designers the opportunity to see and appreciate the work of their colleagues.
Outings like these provide inspiration, peer collaboration, professional growth and personal satisfaction. I think we have the best design team around and I am pleased to be able to support them enthusiastically.
The sky is blue, bright with sunshine and puffy fair-weather clouds. Nice to have cooler days and nights. The late summer landscape is full of mallow, cardinal flower, butterfly weed, black-eyed Susan, summersweet, vitex, and butterfly bushes in a variety of colors. Annuals are at their peak. ~ Hermine Hull, MV Times, on Martha’s Vineyard
How about You? What Are You Doing This Summer?
This is what you should be doing now that it’s August:
- Fully enjoy your outdoor space. Get outside to play, to relax, and even to work if you’re a plant enthusiast like we are. We love to play in the dirt!
- Make sure your plants are getting the water they need. It has been dry and breezy. Water new plantings at the base of the plant with a water wand or drip system. Older plants should be watered at the drip line. Watering in the morning is best.
- Think about next year.
When you are ready to commit to some landscape changes, give us a call. We are already planning 2018 installations. Get on the calendar with a member of our team and enjoy a new view all next year!